Monday 21 September 2015

meet Challenge member: Jolanda Jarman

Jolanda Jarman

1. Your name, location
Jolanda Jarman, Sydney

2. Describe your family
 My husband and two daughters aged 10 and 2 are usually asleep or at school/work while I work on my challenge pieces so I enjoy showing them the finished product and seeing their reactions before I share it online. They are super supportive, though  I’m sure they would like me to show as much enthusiasm for cooking as I do for art.
Week 25 2014: AFRICA


3. Describe your work
I have started referring to my work as ‘constructed’ illustrations as I build my images up using a combination of moveable parts and collage, pens and pastels. I start by creating the paper doll then create the background scene while she sits assembled on my shelf. The fun comes when I attach the doll to the page , there is definitely a little playing involved in finding the perfect position. I use photoshop to fill in some of the backgrounds .

4. What is your career goal?
While I’m not entirely sure where my work fits in the art world I do look forward to finding out. My short term goal is to enter some pieces into art shows  and set up a redbubble account to sell prints.
Week 26 2014: LAND


5. Describe your art background
Last year I completed the Diploma in Visual Arts (full time) at Nepean Tafe. I loved every minute of it.

In drawing class I struggled with the easels, charcoal and tonal work of traditional drawing… until the week I approached a drawing assignment a little differently. Our brief was to ‘create a drawing from photos we’d taken on a recent museum excursion’. I came into class with a box full of craft materials and created my first ‘moving parts’ drawing  of a cassowary cut from my photos. My class mates enjoyed a good laugh and I was further encouraged by my teacher who validated to me that what I saw as good fun was in fact art.
Week 12 2014: RAIN


6. What do you love about the Challenge? What have you learned?
I had been missing the structure of art school when I decided to try the challenge. I am thankful to the group for accepting and welcoming my collage style. It has given me focus and drive to develop my work into something people might look forward to seeing each week. I’ve learned to use Photoshop a little better since starting.

7. What is your favourite illustration you have done for the challenge so far?
 My favourite illustration so far is Week 24 ‘Calendar'.
Week 24 2015: CALENDAR


8. Tell us something that we don’t know about you
I have started a tradition in my family of making elaborate Christmas pinatas. It started as a bit of fun but  5 years later I don’t think my family would let me in if I turned up without one.

Follow Jolanda online:

Redbubble: http://www.redbubble.com/people/JolandaJarman    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.